One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person suffering from dipsomania; an alcoholic.
drinker, heavy drinker, problem drinker, drunk, drunkard, alcoholic, dipsomaniac, alcohol-abuser, alcohol addict, person with a drink problemView synonyms
- ‘Watching it, we were laughing about what a dipso the director must be.’
- ‘Fascinating look at the national results - non drinkers do spectacularly worse than dipsos, and the IQ is in inverse proportion to salary levels.’
- ‘We opt for number two, and discover the dipso cooks a mean cheese omelette.’
- ‘He famously adopted the stage persona of an affectless drunk, only to turn, after his son's death, into a genuine dipso.’
- ‘Perhaps a wise old retired policeman would have spotted something, but like all the dipsos I know, he was a tightwad as well, and never went near the bar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.