One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person suffering from dipsomania; an alcoholic.
- ‘Watching it, we were laughing about what a dipso the director must be.’
- ‘He famously adopted the stage persona of an affectless drunk, only to turn, after his son's death, into a genuine dipso.’
- ‘We opt for number two, and discover the dipso cooks a mean cheese omelette.’
- ‘Perhaps a wise old retired policeman would have spotted something, but like all the dipsos I know, he was a tightwad as well, and never went near the bar.’
- ‘Fascinating look at the national results - non drinkers do spectacularly worse than dipsos, and the IQ is in inverse proportion to salary levels.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.