One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pair of equal and oppositely charged or magnetized poles separated by a distance.
- ‘The succeeding positive slope arises due to the orientation of the headgroup dipoles.’
- ‘Dielectric constants of nonpolar solvents arise from induced dipoles.’
- ‘Dielectric constants of polar solvents are dominated by reorientation of their permanent dipoles.’
- ‘Interaction between the in-plane components of the headgroup dipoles is attractive and decays as the inverse sixth power of distance.’
- ‘Underwater mountains, which are usually volcanic, often have magnetic dipoles.’
- 1.1Chemistry A molecule in which a concentration of positive electric charge is separated from a concentration of negative charge.
- ‘If there is a separation of charge in an bond, it possesses a dipole.’
- ‘The relative magnitudes of the molecular dipoles can be explained by the relative electronegativity differences of the atoms forming the bonds.’
- ‘The longer the peptide, the less important is the effect of the helical dipole.’
- ‘In this way, temporary dipoles are propagated through a liquid or solid.’
- ‘Van der Waals forces are the attractive forces of one transient dipole for another.’
2An aerial consisting of a horizontal metal rod with a connecting wire at its centre.
- ‘The loss of the helical spring antenna is approximately 10 dB compared to a half-wave dipole.’
- ‘By this time, Dad and I had replaced the old dipole with a short Yagi array, horizontally polarized of course, and screwed to one of the crossbeams in the attic, so now we had three channels with excellent reception.’
- ‘These methods allow engineers to fabricate many different types of planar IR antennas, including dipoles, spirals, and patches.’
- ‘One of the simplest feeds for a microwave antenna is the dipole.’
- ‘Marsis features three long antenna booms - a dipole and monopole - that broadcast very long wavelength radio waves toward the planet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.