Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- US term for diplomatic bag
- ‘The Crown supplemented this with an excellent system of opening the mails (and diplomatic pouches, when available) and decrypting messages written in code.’
- ‘Indeed a deal was struck with the German Nazis giving their agents freedom of movement in Argentina, false IDs and use of the Argentinian diplomatic pouch.’
- ‘It might have been accidental that cocaine was recently found in diplomatic pouches leaving this country.’
- ‘Officials at Gatwick Airport were surprised to discover heroin spilling out a diplomatic pouch destined for Sierra Leone's high commission in London.’
- ‘Officials also said the inside of a diplomatic pouch, bound for the US embassy in Lima, Peru, had tested positive.’
- ‘Once completed, the ballots will be shipped to the Canadian Embassy in Kabul and transported by diplomatic pouch back to Canada, where they will be tallied and allotted according to riding.’
- ‘Mark said Parliament had not been apprised of several foreign affairs matters, including an update on the release of the two Barbados fishermen and the cocaine that was found in diplomatic pouches.’
- ‘The amounts were supposedly small - a kilo or two slipped in via diplomatic pouch, the proceeds going to keep the lights on and fund clandestine operations.’
- ‘The report alleges Iraqi embassies in Moscow, Hanoi, Ankara and Bern were also used to collect kickbacks from the oil companies, with the money shipped back to Iraq in diplomatic pouches.’
- ‘Often enough, diplomatic pouches contained illicit and possibly dangerous things and many of the carriers were part of long-running smuggling operations.’
- ‘He helped the OSS in the Vessel Project, which involved sending espionage material to Dublin in the Irish diplomatic pouch.’
- ‘Methods used included smuggling, diplomatic pouches, undercover exchange of foreign currencies, Swiss bank accounts and trusts, sales of paintings and other valuables, and the black market.’
- ‘Drugs are reportedly exported through China and Russia to Asia and Europe via government trading companies, diplomatic pouches, and commercial cargo.’
- ‘The so-called black box was discovered in March at the United Nations' Air Safety Unit, where it apparently had sat for a decade after its arrival by diplomatic pouch from the UN Mission in Rwanda.’
- ‘Ponder on each of them before you open the diplomatic pouches or make responses.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.