One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A huge herbivorous dinosaur of the late Jurassic period, with a long slender neck and tail.
- ‘Producing effects that manifested Iannucci's remarkable flights of comedy fantasy must, at times, have proved just as taxing for them as animating a diplodocus.’
- ‘The neighbouring Museum of Natural History has the third-largest dinosaur collection in the world, including skeletons of tyrannosaurus rex, diplodocus and stegosaurus.’
- ‘They found embedded in solid rock what they believe to be the pelvis of a primitive sauropod, a four-legged, plant-eating dinosaur similar to better-known creatures such as brachiosaurus and diplodocus.’
- ‘A simpler way would be to trace the tattoo on his arm: an outline of a diplodocus, the world's longest dinosaur.’
- ‘An aging diplodocus (voice of Joan Plowright) and triceratops spout sage wisdom.’
- ‘‘Very large dinosaurs like the diplodocus found in the Algoa Basin took about three decades to reach adulthood,’ says Professor Chinsamy-Turan.’
- ‘‘Bronty’ the Brontosaurus was similar to his cousin the diplodocus, only bigger and fatter.’
- ‘Fossils of a previously unknown species, which is believed to have belonged to the herbivorous sauropod diplodocus family, were found along the banks of a tributary of the Amazon river in the northern state of Maranhao.’
- ‘She seems to belong to another world, like a diplodocus, and I feel oddly privileged to glimpse her before she becomes extinct.’
- ‘On the ‘dinosaur coast’, near Scarborough, the footprints of a diplodocus show that the sandstone there was laid down 150 million years ago.’
- ‘Diplodocuses were the biggest dinosaurs but not the heaviest.’
- ‘Dr Manning believes the skeleton will inspire youngsters just as he was inspired by the skeleton of the diplodocus at the Natural History Museum, London, when he was seven years old.’
Modern Latin, from diplo- ‘double’ + Greek dokos ‘wooden beam’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.