One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bacterium that occurs as pairs of cocci, e.g. pneumococcus.
- ‘If the smear shows Gram negative intracellular diplococci, the patient is treated for gonorrhoea and chlamydia to cover the possibility of a mixed infection.’
- ‘The causative organism of gonorrhea, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, is a fastidious gram-negative diplococcus, which closely resembles the related human pathogen, Neisseria meningitidis, as well as several commensal species.’
- ‘Dexamethasone therapy should be continued following test results only if gram-positive diplococci are found in the CSF Gram stain, or if cultures reveal Streptococcus pneumoniae.’
- ‘Neisseria gonorrhoeae is a fastidious Gram-negative diplococcus which closely resembles the related human pathogen Neisseria meningitidis, as well as several commensal species.’
- ‘Shortly before he left, however, a call from an excited microbiologist confirmed the presence of Gram negative diplococci in both blood and cerebrospinal fluid culture.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.