One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Otherwise the dialect is solidly Midland, and aside from Germanisms bears a close affinity with the Philadelphia area, such as in its use of diphthongal long O and long A.’
- ‘Thus, ‘bait’ and ‘boat’ are always monophthongs as I say them, but ‘bay’ and ‘low’ may be either monophthongal or slightly diphthongal.’
- ‘They are represented by two letters, one indicating the start of the diphthongal movement, the other indicating its end or general direction.’
- ‘These three models all crucially contribute to my explanation of variation and changes currently observed in the diphthongal system of Seoul Korean.’
- ‘For example, there is no attempt to distinguish between the ‘pure’ O of Italian and the diphthongal O of British English, or between the various R sounds of English, French, Spanish, and German.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.