One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any bacterium of a genus that includes the diphtheria bacillus, especially one that does not cause disease.See corynebacterium
- ‘Other normal inhabitants of the birth canal - staph, strep, diphtheroids, anaerobes, E. coli and Listeria - are other pathogens that may cause neonatal pneumonia.’
- ‘Of the 19 units manifesting growth, 16 yielded only diphtheroids, 1 unit grew coagulase-negative staphylococci, 1 unit grew diphtheroids and micrococci, and 1 unit grew diphtheroids and coagulase-negative staphylococci.’
- ‘The trend for Corynebacterium species and diphtheroids may reflect a change from regarding these organisms as skin contaminants to being clinically significant, as occurred for coagulase negative staphylococci.’
- ‘Investigators found Staphylococcus, Streptococcus viridans, diphtheroids, Escherichia coli, and candida on gym equipment and facilities.’
- ‘The eschar swab rendered growth of coagulase-negative Staphylococcus species, light growth of diphtheroids, and rare Streptococcus viridans.’
attributive Similar to diphtheria.‘diphtheroid endocarditis’
- ‘Diphtheroid necrotic inflammation of the larynx in calves in its advanced stage mostly requires surgical therapy.’
- ‘Diphtheroid infection is a rare cause of endocarditis and, when present, it usually affects immunocompromised hosts or prosthetic valves.’
- ‘There are few reports of diphtheroid endocarditis on intact valves, and, to our knowledge, this is the first case in which the offending organism was identified as C xerosis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.