One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the refraction of light, especially in the organs of sight or in devices which aid or improve the vision.
- ‘The dioptric power of this liquid lens depends on the refractive indices of the materials and the radius of curvature of the interface.’
- ‘If the lens had an index of 1.53, the dioptric value of that radius of curvature would be 4.64 diopters.’
- ‘The dioptric system helps focus the image on the retina.’
- ‘Canon dioptric lenses only handle simple eyesight defects of long and short sight, they may not help other eyesight problems.’
- ‘I wouldn't think the dioptric adjustment would be something that would get out of alignment easily.’
Mid 17th century: from Greek dioptrikos, from dioptra, a kind of theodolite (see dioptre).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.