One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dinner jacket and trousers, worn with a bow tie on formal occasions.
- ‘We had our glad rags on and the men put on their dinner suits.’
- ‘Four of us took off to Oxford Street at noon to hire dinner suits from the smelliest man in London.’
- ‘I have to remember my dinner suit which I leave at Poole when we go to France.’
- ‘The virtuoso pianist has not spoken since being found soaking wet, dressed in a dinner suit, in Sheerness, Kent, 11 weeks ago.’
- ‘He was found soaking wet in the middle of the night, unable to speak and dressed in an expensive dinner suit.’
- ‘His uniform was more like a formal dinner suit than a school uniform.’
- ‘After a few minutes a large man in a dinner suit came out.’
- ‘Boys can dress up in the traditional dinner suit for this one - adding a gold scarf or a fresh flower to your lapel will transform the look.’
- ‘The bridegroom is able to hire his choice of morning suit or dinner suit, tuxedo, shirt and cravat or bow tie.’
- ‘Some were dressed in dinner suits, others in overalls, casual wear or Antarctic foul weather gear.’
- ‘The girls wore their party dresses and high heels, the men looked dashingly handsome in their dinner suits.’
- ‘Sheridan is a fearsome sight in a dinner suit, never mind a Test jersey.’
- ‘His refusal to wear anything but the dinner suit he was found in and his need to cut all the labels from his clothing are also indicative.’
- ‘Rob, a pupil at St George's School has hired his dinner suit from Charles Gale formal wear hire in Fareham.’
- ‘I had forgotten my dinner suit, and hoped I wouldn't stick out too much.’
- ‘By the time I saw Mr. Bee again, I was already happily married and wearing a sharp dinner suit.’
- ‘For evening functions long dresses and evening gloves were worn by the women and dinner suits by the men.’
- ‘He's helped me with a few: "I will get into my skinny dinner suit for Christmas."’
- ‘But she was in time to welcome the Queen, who was wearing a sparkling cream ensemble, and the Duke of Edinburgh who was in a dinner suit.’
- ‘She is wearing a low-cut black evening dress, he a dinner suit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.