One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman who serves meals to children in a school.
- ‘Anne, a dinner lady, and her husband, a painter and decorator, say Leanne needs 24-hour one-to-one care.’
- ‘The staff at Broadway Primary School, where I work as a dinner lady, and Haslingden High School, where Chantelle was a pupil, have been very supportive.’
- ‘She was also a well known figure in the Millbrook community having worked as a dinner lady and before that for the Daily Echo's classified motors section.’
- ‘We both have jobs which involve meeting the public: I'm a housekeeper in two sheltered housing schemes and also a dinner lady; my husband works as a technician/tutor in a local college.’
- ‘Former dinner lady Jackie Thompson said: ‘We have invited Mr Hain to the meeting to defend himself.’’
- ‘After Mrs Collins, a former dinner lady at Sevenfields School, said she did not have one or any cash, the youngster made a grab for her and then ran off with his friend.’
- ‘She was formerly a dinner lady at Queen's Park High School.’
- ‘Dorothy started work at Silsden textile firm Knox's, left to bring up daughter June Gorthorpe, then became a dinner lady at Grange Middle School.’
- ‘Maxine, whose five-year-old son Harvey is in year one, said: ‘It is much more than being just a dinner lady.’’
- ‘Every person in a school has their part to play, whether they are a classroom assistant or a teacher, a bursar or a dinner lady.’
- ‘Living under an assumed name during the early 1990s, she moved to the south coast of England to work as a dinner lady, until the supervisor told her she was sacked.’
- ‘Honours were given to people from the worlds of education, health and the criminal justice system to school cleaners, a dinner lady and a milkman.’
- ‘Mrs Brooke, of Colbert Avenue, Ilkley is already known to staff and children as she has worked as a dinner lady at Ben Rhydding Primary.’
- ‘Ordinarily he would not have got to see the paper at all,’ said Carol, now 44, who works as a dinner lady.’
- ‘A local dinner lady has challenged a group which claims school meals are ‘muck off a truck’ to try her food.’
- ‘I remember on June 6, 1944, just before I left school at 14 years old, we went into school dinner and our dinner lady told us that our boys had invaded France.’
- ‘The former dinner lady arrives at work at 7am to fill bottles of water for infant pupils and run a breakfast club before helping out in the classroom.’
- ‘Now aged 70, Mrs Merrick remains extremely active taking many courses such as computer classes at Belfield Community School, where she worked as a dinner lady for 15 years.’
- ‘My wife also served as a dinner lady at the school.’
- ‘Apart from a minor run in with a dinner lady over gooseberry crumble, which I couldn't stand, I was always a great eater (still am unfortunately) and used to tuck into the hot pot and mixed vegetables with delight.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.