One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A railway carriage equipped as a restaurant.
- ‘He updated Amtrak information at the station, including a new menu for the Texas Eagle dining cars.’
- ‘A dining car, a sleeping car, and maintenance-of-way equipment might illustrate the jobs of African-American railroaders, yet these are located in different sections of the building.’
- ‘And where better to depict a city on the move than from a Midland dining car at the National Railway Museum in York?’
- ‘The teenager left school to help support his mother, working as a pantry boy on railway dining cars.’
- ‘A fair amount of heavyweight passenger equipment was still in use, too, along with Pullmans and dining cars.’
- ‘Michael decided that he did not want a full breakfast from the dining car.’
- ‘I proceeded 3 more cars toward the head of the train to find the dining car.’
- ‘It may be slower than a plane, bus or car, but for long-distance trips it has its good sides - a toilet, a dining car and a sleeping car.’
- ‘In Easton, he photographed The Sportsman Diner, which was in an old dining car.’
- ‘Some passengers came aboard with coolers and bags of food, but we preferred the experience of the dining car.’
- ‘Velvety blacks and hazy dry-brushed grays at right depict a table set for two in a railway dining car with a blurred vista in the background.’
- ‘Evidently, she did not care if he was her waiter; he was in charge of the dining car, so she repeated her question.’
- ‘There was also an Assistant General Car Foreman along with three Assistant Foremen (one each for coaches, sleeping and dining cars and washing), on day shift.’
- ‘Our train was a bunch of First-class sleeping cars and a dining car.’
- ‘I realize that railroad dining cars are not cheap, and that first class passengers don't worry about the cost because meals are included, but it was ridiculous that I spent a total of $17.75 for breakfast, including the tip.’
- ‘This, alas, meant a long walk to the lounge and dining cars.’
- ‘Al, mistakenly believing his wife had wanted to sleep in, found two younger women to accompany him to the dining car.’
- ‘Lake Pontchartrain was crossed in bright sunlight; at Slidell, the lounge and dining cars opened for business.’
- ‘I'll also never forget many a night spent in dining cars after hours.’
- ‘My favorite dining car meal is breakfast so we trooped to the diner for immediate seating by the cheerful stewardess.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.