Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A home run.
- ‘Aaron wound up with just 41 more dingers while coming to the plate 4,000 more times!’
- ‘Two years ago, I posed the question to the Yankees' manager about using the replay on disputed fair-foul dingers.’
- ‘One bedazzled writer even commented he was on a pace to hit 81 dingers.’
- ‘While the offense and special teams were hitting home runs, the FSU defense was giving up bunches of singles and doubles, plus the occasional dinger.’
- ‘Sure, he hit the aforementioned dinger, but in the fifth he came up with runners on first and second, two out, and flew out.’
- ‘Well, since then, he is hitting .316 with 13 HR and is on pace to hit a career-high 26 dingers.’
- ‘He went on to hit at least 25 over the next four seasons and finished his career in 1955 with 202 lifetime dingers.’
- ‘You have to go back more than a dozen years to the Dodgers in 1992 to find a team giving up so few dingers.’
- ‘However, a full 60% of his dingers the past five years have come at this home-run friendly field.’
- ‘The Twins and their opponents hit 172 dingers there, while clouting 186 in opposing ballparks, an eight percent edge.’
- ‘More impressive, 11 of his dingers have come at cavernous RFK Stadium.’
- ‘High-tech bats have so enhanced players' power that some leagues have taken to limiting the number of home runs a team can hit, turning subsequent dingers into more modest doubles.’
- ‘His home run call, ‘And you can tell it goodbye’ gave generations of fans in the Bay area a rally cry for every dinger hit.’
- ‘He hit 30 homers for the Cubs in 1993, and ended his career with 81 dingers.’
- ‘Does anybody care that they each hit 49 dingers twice?’
- ‘I thought that when Reggie hit a dinger, that maybe my dad would be able to come through on one of his many promises, too.’
- ‘He is batting a solid .328 and has batted 52 runs in along with 13 dingers.’
- ‘In the game I attended, he singled, hit a rocket down first that he failed to beat out only because he couldn't be troubled to run, and then launched his mammoth dinger.’
- ‘Furthermore, with six dingers in his last ten games, he is now leading the majors in home runs this season with 15.’
- ‘Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth had 342 and 309 dingers, respectively, at that same age.’
- 1.1US dated A thing outstanding of its kind.‘it was going to be a dinger of a night’
- ‘This was a real dinger of a game with terrific ball display and a great victory for Ivan.’
- ‘It is the Department of Conservation flip-flop, and it is a dinger.’
- ‘This gave me the opportunity to put together a wing dinger of a Halloween party since the students would generally follow directions without question.’
- ‘This was a dinger of a game with the sides on level terms at the end of normal time.’
Late 19th century: shortening of humdinger.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.