One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A molecule or molecular complex consisting of two identical molecules linked together.
- ‘In this paper, we synthesized a covalent dimer of alamethicin that was N-terminally linked by a disulfide bond.’
- ‘Molecular dimers are assumed to be not directly degraded.’
- ‘One explanation is the metal ions bind inside the dimer between the monomers of a double-helix.’
- ‘The resulting dimer forms an ion channel in lipid membranes that is selective for monovalent cations only.’
- ‘Furthermore, there was no evidence of ethyl esters, dimers, alkanes or alkenes, which might be expected for an oxidative reaction.’
1930s: from di- ‘two’, on the pattern of polymer.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.