One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In string theory the known elementary particles are no longer described as dimensionless mathematical point-objects but rather as extended one-dimensional objects (hence the name ‘string’).’
- ‘So I count eleven parameters - really only ten, since only dimensionless ratios of mass scales matter - each of which needs to be specified to three significant digits or fewer.’
- ‘For the purpose of biological fluid dynamics, scale is represented by the dimensionless Reynolds number, a ratio that reflects the influence of inertial relative to viscous forces.’
- ‘We have learned to see photographs, not so much as substantive objects, but as flat, dimensionless, even transparent windows that give view to other places and times.’
- ‘The two models give comparable fits to the fluorescence profile taken through the center of the contact area, once the dimensionless parameters are adjusted for the true contact area model.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.