Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A Chinese dish of small steamed or fried savoury dumplings containing various fillings.
- ‘I would be happy to drink large quantities of this easy white with all manner of fragrant dim sum, too.’
- ‘There are Filipino stews, take out Chinese dim sum, or German sausages and French pastries at a deli.’
- ‘The dim sum were similarly faultless, beautiful little shells served in the plump, squeaky prime of their short lives - the advantage of a short menu and the personnel to make them to order.’
- ‘Nowadays, various dim sum are also sold in takeaways as many students and office workers' day-to-day breakfast.’
- ‘The dishes will then be delivered at home five times a day, which includes main courses, drinks, vegetables, fruit, dim sum and Chinese herbs.’
- ‘There is Chinese food too - bean-curd soup, dim sum and spring rolls.’
- ‘During the day it offers set menus and afternoon tea with Cantonese dishes and dim sum at reasonable prices.’
- ‘Sake wine and whiskey are also the order of the day, along with delicious bar snacks from sashimi and dim sum to fried oysters and Japanese sausage.’
- ‘The dim sum promises to be ‘heavenly’, while the tomato soup guarantees to boost the body's ‘healing power’.’
- ‘Wontons may be steamed or pan fried or deep-fried; and are often served in soups, or as items in dim sum.’
- ‘Let us know what your favorite fried fish or grits place is; tell us where the best deli is, where the top dim sum is.’
- ‘The dim sum - a range of delicious individual dishes like a Chinese version of tapas - weren't served after 6pm, our waitress explained apologetically.’
- ‘If you're searching for the perfect dim sum or sushi, try Chinatown and Little Tokyo.’
- ‘The dish is one variety of the popular Chinese dim sum, usually served before a main meal.’
- ‘This makes the dim sum fresh, and makes other dim sum seem greasy and congealed by comparison.’
- ‘Obviously the queues are prompted by the availability of dim sum.’
- ‘You'd notice she's athletic and has an eclectic sense of style, and you'd be impressed that she eats sushi and dim sum.’
- ‘Of all the great Chinese cuisine, dim sum stands out as a perennial favorite around the world.’
- ‘The children also enjoyed a little Chinese cuisine as they tucked into a feast of seaweed, rice parcels wrapped in lotus laves, dim sum, noodles and prawn crackers.’
- ‘The food is an exotic mix of tapas and dim sum, so you eat chorizo and calamari one minute, spring rolls and satay the next.’
From Chinese ( Cantonese dialect) tim sam, from tim dot and sam heart.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.