Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Pickled cucumber flavoured with dill.‘pastrami on rye with crunchy dill pickle’[count noun] ‘serve with pumpernickel, crisp dill pickles, and a green salad’
- ‘A turkey burger is sweeter and lighter than a beefburger and can be teamed with all or any of your favourite burger toppings, from melted cheese to mustard or dill pickles.’
- ‘One guy actually had an order of fried dill pickles in front of him.’
- ‘Regular dill pickles and sauerkraut are fermented and cured for about 3 weeks.’
- ‘The President of the United States of America was holding a glass of Bordeaux 1990 in his right hand, and balancing a plate of caviar and Polish dill pickles in the other.’
- ‘For instance, I love nothing more than a sandwich made of peanut butter and dill pickles.’
- ‘Serve with the usual suspects of gherkins, dill pickle and cos lettuce, but you might also like to add shavings of fresh Parmesan.’
- ‘So April was right, as far as dill pickles are concerned, those darned Canadians have got it sussed.’
- ‘Vodka was first distilled in Poland in the sixteenth century and is consumed with food, commonly sausage, dill pickles, or herring, as a chaser.’
- ‘We started with some deep fried dill pickles - pickle spears dipped in cornmeal batter and then deep-fried.’
- ‘I imagine at State Dinners even breadsticks, celery stalks and kosher dill pickles will come under excruciatingly close scrutiny.’
- ‘First off, they're tart - lip-smackingly tart - and for those of us who relish dill pickles, lemons and Granny Smith apples, they're a welcome addition to our food repertoire.’
- ‘About five summers ago, not having any idea what I was in for, I finally took the plunge and entered raspberry jam, lemon curd, garden salsa, dill pickles and tomatoes in the California State Fair.’
- ‘My stomach felt queasy, like a day at the zoo - too much cotton candy, and too many dill pickles (sweet and sour).’
- ‘And what happens if the profit margin is large in cereals, but small in dill pickles?’
- ‘We ate a supper consisting of Nachos, with three different kinds of cheeses, hot peppers, and dill pickles, and a green salad, which he chopped up for me while I was trying to feed Chase his mashed potatoes that my mother insisted he eat.’
- ‘Other sandwiches come stuffed with prosciutto and artichokes, another with egg salad, green peas and dill pickles, or with feta, cucumber and onions.’
- ‘A serving of Russian beef stew with dill pickles and capers which would serve two costs just 4.95.’
- ‘She had been served a cold roast beef and provolone cheese on Italian bread sandwich; dill pickle; hard boiled eggs that Paul had peeled, salt and peppered for her; and a green salad with all her favorite things, including the dressing on it.’
- ‘She hasn't looked back, and when her nephew flew in from Iowa, she managed to open a large jar of dill pickles for him with a flourish.’
- ‘For instance, if you're craving something sweet, sip something tart, such as water with lemon in it, or nosh on a dill pickle.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.