One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an alcohol) containing two hydroxyl groups.
- ‘This early work was based on toluene diisocyanate reacted with dihydric alcohols.’
- ‘Polyurethanes are created from dihydric alcohols and diisocyanate monomers.’
- ‘Of the four dihydric alcohols, ethylene glycol was superior to the other three alcohols in the smoothness and color of the deposit and the cathodic current efficiency.’
- ‘Aliphatic dihydric alcohols are known as glycols.’
- ‘Subsequently, the polyphenol was further separated into dihydric phenols and monohydric phenol.’
Late 19th century: from di- ‘two’ + hydrogen + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.