One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A poisonous compound present in the foxglove and other plants. It is a steroid glycoside and is used in small doses as a cardiac stimulant.
- ‘Although digitoxin is used widely in Europe, the cardiac glycoside digoxin is widely used in the United States.’
- ‘By adding a further four drugs to the search (aspirin, atenolol, digoxin, and statins) an additional 750 patients would be identified.’
- ‘Conventional therapy with warfarin, digoxin, and diuretics improves symptoms but has a limited effect on disease progression.’
- ‘If the patient had not previously received digoxin, digoxin was also administered during the first 24 hours.’
- ‘One doctor reaches for a ‘decent dose of warfarin and digoxin no hesitation at all’ to treat patients with atrial fibrillation because of the death of a grandfather.’
1930s: contraction of digitoxin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.