One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Shaped like a spread hand.‘digitate leaves’‘a digitate delta’
- ‘This species, contrary to the occurrence of shelbyocerids in the Eminence Formation, is clearly found associated with digitate stromatolite bearing dolomite.’
- ‘Hypseloconids are almost exclusively associated with digitate or small domal stromatolites where they are frequently found in clusters.’
- ‘In the Southern Hemisphere a different, more strongly digitate type of Ginkgo leaf persists into the Eocene, but we lack data on its occurrence and do not discuss it further here.’
- ‘When fully grown, its gigantic buttressed trunk, which stretches up to 10 meters in diameter, abruptly ends in the branches that bear digitate leaves.’
- ‘These can be either digitate forms, where the mollusks lived between small stromatolite fingers, or larger, domal stromatolite masses, which created areas where mollusks clustered.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin digitatus, from digitus ‘finger, toe’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.