One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device that records audio and video input, typically from a television signal, on to a hard disk.
- ‘You can use it to connect any device that has a standard Ethernet port, including consumer devices such as internet radios, digital video recorders and other internet appliances.’
- ‘The computer looks like a digital video recorder and its companion monitor so resembles a television that most people probably wouldn't believe it's a PC.’
- ‘The software is capable of acting as a digital video recorder, whether it's TV, camcorder or VCR.’
- ‘Japanese advertisers, like those in the U.S., worry about growing use of digital video recorders, now in 15% of Japan's homes.’
- ‘It's three products in one: a digital video recorder, an Internet browser and a satellite receiver.’
- ‘He placed an order for 20 million digital video recorders for his customers.’
- ‘The digital video recorder, formerly known as the personal video recorder was everywhere.’
- ‘Within the next two years we will see the elimination for the need of digital video recorders (DVRs).’
- ‘The digital video recorders we cover here include at least a hard disk drive for initially capturing video and a DVD recorder for saving hard disk recordings.’
- ‘The advent of personal digital video recorders has transformed the experience of watching TV for millions of people.’
- ‘A digital video recorder can be used to allow users to fast forward through segments of a recorded video signal, such as commercial breaks, while still allowing the advertiser a limited opportunity to present an advertising message.’
- ‘Home entertainment is going through a new evolution, thanks to the digital video recorder.’
- ‘Smart surveillance solutions require networked surveillance cameras and digital video recorders, combined with advanced recognition and tracking applications.’
- ‘Although only six million homes today have digital video recorders, by 2020 half of American television households, or 58 million homes, will have them.’
- ‘In an era when fragmentation, multitasking and digital video recorders undermine traditional television business models, sports have become one of the last bastions of engaged mass audiences.’
- ‘The devices probably would plug right into the digital video recorders through a USB (universal serial bus) connection.’
- ‘So you're interested in turning your PC into a digital video recorder, but the notion of opening your computer to install a TV-tuner card gives you the shakes.’
- ‘These are devices (such as digital video recorders and Internet access devices) that connect to the TV but are typically downstream of the decoder box.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.