One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The action or process of differentiating or distinguishing between two or more things or people.‘packaging can be a source of product differentiation’
distinction, distinctness, disparity, polarity, contrast, difference, divergence, separation, demarcation, delimitationView synonyms
- ‘There are two unfortunate consequences when making sharp differentiations between cyberspace and lived reality.’
- ‘Having benefitted from my ‘married with children’ status for years, I honestly would not get too worked up if those differentiations were dropped and each taxpayer was taken as an individual, regardless of civil status.’
- ‘In the cambial zone, at least three patterns of cell differentiation can be distinguished.’
- ‘But brands need to innovate in order to maintain differentiation and increase their audience.’
- ‘This is not just a question of making a space in which mankind could live, but of creating the differentiations which distinguish cosmos from chaos.’
- 1.1technical The process of becoming different by growth or development.
- 1.2Biology The process by which cells, tissue, and organs acquire specialized features, especially during embryonic development.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.