Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The action or process of differentiating or distinguishing between two or more things or people.‘packaging can be a source of product differentiation’
distinction, distinctness, disparity, polarity, contrast, difference, divergence, separation, demarcation, delimitationView synonyms
- ‘Having benefitted from my ‘married with children’ status for years, I honestly would not get too worked up if those differentiations were dropped and each taxpayer was taken as an individual, regardless of civil status.’
- ‘There are two unfortunate consequences when making sharp differentiations between cyberspace and lived reality.’
- ‘This is not just a question of making a space in which mankind could live, but of creating the differentiations which distinguish cosmos from chaos.’
- ‘In the cambial zone, at least three patterns of cell differentiation can be distinguished.’
- ‘But brands need to innovate in order to maintain differentiation and increase their audience.’
- 1.1technical The process of becoming different by growth or development.
- 1.2Biology The process by which cells, tissue, and organs acquire specialized features, especially during embryonic development.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.