Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for del
- ‘He showed how to extend Laplace's series to give a perturbing function in the case of elliptical orbits by introducing differential operators which act on the Laplace coefficients.’
- ‘He used what he called the ‘fluxio-differential’ method, so called because it used two independent first-order Leibniz type differential operators.’
- ‘In these papers a special role is played by expansions in terms of the eigenfunctions of linear differential operators.’
- ‘And we all know that the Laplacian operator is by far the most important differential operator in Mathematical Physics.’
- ‘Formal properties of differential operators are studied in many of his contributions, in particular in his early papers he worked on commuting differential operators.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.