One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting or relating to a locomotive driven by the electric current produced by a diesel-engined generator.
- ‘The 18 new buses are diesel-electric hybrids, and they get 60 percent better fuel economy and provide up to a 90 percent reduction of certain emissions than the previous diesel buses.’
- ‘Although concentrated ore continued to be transported to the Anaconda smelter until 1980, the line was converted for use by diesel-electric locomotives in 1967.’
- ‘After an assessment, the first item on the priority list submitted by the Ministry of Defense was diesel-electric submarines.’
- ‘Union Pacific Railroad has ordered 315 diesel-electric locomotives designed to significantly decrease air emissions.’
- ‘But now it's your cue to say there's an accountant with a speech impediment on the other side of the room with whom you are eager to discuss the history of diesel-electric locomotives on the former British Railways Western Region.’
- ‘Since then, Taiwan's rail system has gone through several phases, from steam-powered engines to diesel-electric engines to fully-electric locomotives.’
- ‘The Canadian Maritime Force has four Victoria class diesel-electric submarines, formerly Upholder Class submarines of the UK Royal Navy.’
- ‘For this the Canadian Navy obtained four modern, quiet long-range diesel-electric patrol submarines to replace their ageing Oberon-class boats.’
- ‘In their place, they're testing a variety of cleaner technologies, including diesel-electric hybrids and hydrogen fuel cells.’
- ‘Towards the stern, the propulsion was mangled, the diesel-electric engine still trying to turn.’
- ‘More recently, diesel-electric locomotives and many of the monster trucks used in mining have made the transition to electric drive trains.’
- ‘That number could swell if petrol- and diesel-electric hybrids catch on faster.’
- ‘Further discussions with British Rail top management led to the suggestion that the company should purchase their own fleet of diesel-electric locomotives, able to conform with company's requirements for power and reliability.’
- ‘The company, which employs about 3,000 workers, is the world's largest manufacturer of diesel-electric train locomotives with operations in LaGrange and London, Ontario, Canada.’
- ‘Even though by 1960 the old steam locomotives were abandoned for the much more efficient diesel-electric locomotives, the tide could not be turned.’
- ‘By 1970 Jamaica's railways had fourteen diesel-electric locomotives and only one steam locomotive was still in operation.’
- ‘You could hear the great diesel-electric locomotive miles away, just as you could hear its steam-powered predecessor clattering through the lowlands of the Hills of Clare.’
- ‘Steam remained the unchallenged source of power for railroads until 1925, when the Central Railroad of New Jersey introduced the first diesel-electric locomotive.’
- ‘The company has acquired new rolling stock like Chinese diesel-electric locomotives and fuel tankers.’
- ‘Included in the procurement plan are eight diesel-electric submarines, six Patriot-III anti-missile batteries and a squadron of 12 anti-submarine aircraft from the US.’
A diesel-electric locomotive.
- ‘They were seldom used on diesel-electrics but were used on some diesel-mechanical and diesel-hydraulic locomotives.’
- ‘The City of Truro will arrive under its own power, while locomotive 50033, Glorious a diesel-electric will arrive as a permanent exhibit at the museum.’
- ‘Stream engines don't handle inclines well, however, so the trip from Cairns to Kuranda takes twice as long as if the train were hauled by a modern diesel-electric.’
- ‘Coal burning steam turbines, steam turbine electrics, and even gas turbines, all failed to oust diesel-electrics.’
- ‘This is a somewhat longer useful life than I would expect to receive from an appraisal on diesel-electrics in North America, primarily due to the fact that few, if any, railways outside of North America subject their locos to the kind of heavy usage that we do.’
- ‘It would take the diesel-electric nearly fifty years to equal the horsepower output of the steam locomotive during its technological height.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.