One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The caudal (posterior) part of the forebrain, containing the epithalamus, thalamus, hypothalamus, and ventral thalamus and the third ventricle.Compare with telencephalon
- ‘From previous anatomical data, we hypothesize that the level of such actions is suprametameric, with strong implication of the diencephalon and cerebral cortex.’
- ‘The latter includes the diencephalon; mesencephalon, or midbrain; pons; and medulla oblongata.’
- ‘The neurohypophysis, or posterior pituitary, is derived from an evagination of the infundibular portion of the diencephalon of the brain.’
- ‘Eye development in zebrafish first becomes morphologically obvious at the 6 somite stage, the time at which the optic lobes evaginate from the diencephalon.’
- ‘The internal capsule and corona radiata have been exposed by removal of the corpus callosum, caudate nucleus, and diencephalon.’
Late 19th century: from di- ‘across’ + Greek enkephalos ‘brain’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.