Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A narrative or plot, typically in a film.
plot, outline, storyline, framework, structure, scheme, plan, layoutView synonyms
- ‘Yet, unlike what happens in the melodrama, the real subject of the diegesis is not the woman, but the male body, and women, fighting or not, often end up as pawns - yet their function within the diegesis keeps changing.’
- ‘Indeed, Rushdie's first novel Grimus is cast in the shape of Dantean katabasis, both in the diegesis of a descent journey and in the ethical framework of what Brennan refers to as Rushdie's ‘coming-to-self’.’
- ‘The justification is in fact very clearly stated within the diegesis.’
- ‘This is what Olivier demonstrated in Henry V, when the doors of the theatrical first act literally open themselves up to a boundless panorama, the diegesis of the whole earth and not the altar of the stage.’
- ‘This indirect placement of interpretative elements on the ‘fringes’ of the film's diegesis points towards a greater system of absence and presence that structures The Big Sleep.’
- ‘It is true that the tropes and symbols that actualize the structure of the lyric, and the diegesis actualizing narrative structures, are all referential, rooted in mores, in ideologies-rooted in history.’
- ‘These genres are not only the surface texture of the film but they are doubled and quoted directly via the insertion of film clips into the diegesis.’
- ‘In this process, they found that these slippery passages that constantly moved Orlando in and out of the diegesis fitted nicely with the film's focus on fluidity.’
- ‘Establishing Hamlet and Branagh as a version of the Lacanian ‘subject presumed to know’ also serves a practical purpose in enabling Branagh to sustain an illusion of total control both within and beyond the diegesis of the film.’
- ‘In Hammett's novel, the Flitcraft episode disrupts the diegesis both literally, by inserting extraneous material into the ‘plot,’ and figuratively, by exposing the instability of all narratives.’
- ‘The interchangeability of sadistic and masochistic positions within the diegesis potentially undercuts the a priori masochism ascribed by current film theory to the female spectator of classical cinema.’
- ‘Non-narrative surfaces and textures that would in a single-channel movie seem like radical departures from the diegesis emerge and recede without halting the flow of the story.’
- ‘At that point, an empty space opens up in front of the window, which, as critics have pointed out, Huston uses as a visual symbol to frame moments in the diegesis when characters cannot be trusted.’
- ‘In Mama Day, the nineteenth-century slave narrative and the sixteenth-century drama of displacement and colonization occupy the same temporal space, the time of narrative diegesis.’
- ‘Time of the Wolf is wholly transparent in its operations - like The Piano Teacher, it only exists on one level of narrative diegesis, describing the aftermath of a global apocalypse.’
- ‘Background music is not part of the diegesis of the film and has the potential to create confusion.’
- ‘Sometimes, enunciation pierces through narration with ostentatious camera moves or reflexive images, but it finds itself swallowed by the diegesis in the end.’
- ‘For instance, Pop Music begins the historical investigation of how popular music and musicians tell stories with a study of filmic diegesis, or what Donnelly describes as ‘the story world.’’
- ‘The diegesis of Memoirs of a Midget, if not exactly traditional in every respect, nevertheless belongs to genres with which we are familiar.’
- ‘Shokrian includes a number of these bulletins at crucial points within the diegesis, although his characters remain virtually oblivious to them.’
Early 19th century: from Greek diēgēsis narrative.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.