One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of a genus that includes dumb cane and its relatives.
Genus Dieffenbachia, family Araceae
- ‘Some of the best plants for low-light conditions belong to the aroid family, which includes philodendrons, pothos, peace lilies, anthuriums, dieffenbachias, and Chinese evergreens.’
- ‘Along with the magnificent orchids are aroids, a family including dieffenbachias, philodendrons and other popular indoor plants.’
- ‘Can you tell me if the pods that form on the top of my dieffenbachia are harmful to the plant?’
- ‘The dieffenbachia is an ornamental plant that is used fundamentally like an indoor plant.’
- ‘The wide leaves of the dieffenbachias tend to hold dust and this might obstruct their breathing.’
Modern Latin, named after Ernst Dieffenbach (1811–55), German horticulturalist.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.