Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant of a genus that includes dumb cane and its relatives.
- ‘Some of the best plants for low-light conditions belong to the aroid family, which includes philodendrons, pothos, peace lilies, anthuriums, dieffenbachias, and Chinese evergreens.’
- ‘The dieffenbachia is an ornamental plant that is used fundamentally like an indoor plant.’
- ‘Along with the magnificent orchids are aroids, a family including dieffenbachias, philodendrons and other popular indoor plants.’
- ‘Can you tell me if the pods that form on the top of my dieffenbachia are harmful to the plant?’
- ‘The wide leaves of the dieffenbachias tend to hold dust and this might obstruct their breathing.’
Modern Latin, named after Ernst Dieffenbach (1811–55), German horticulturalist.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.