One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rate of speech slow enough for someone to be able to write down what is said.
- ‘Even for faster typists, the time saving can be significant: while a fast, accurate typist can typically produce a net 50 wpm, dictation speed usually averages 140 to 160 wpm.’
- ‘Using the multimodal system, novices’ dictation speed nearly doubled to about 40 words a minute; average users’ speed increased slightly to 44 words a minute.’
- ‘That was repeated to the jury at dictation speed.’
- ‘The user can now speak normally - saving the users’ vocal chords and raising the dictation speed levels.’
- ‘If I may say so, parts of your Lordship's summing were delivered at rather more than dictation speed, and sometimes not very loudly.’
- ‘Emphasis is placed on continued development of dictation speed and improvement of transcription skill on mailable copy including grammar and letter placement.’
- ‘Supervised laboratory practice periods are designed to build preliminary dictation speed and to reinforce in-class instruction related skills of punctuation, spelling, and word usage.’
- ‘Get your dictation speed up and learn all the ‘written knowledge’ material necessary.’
- ‘Speaking at dictation speed so that there can be no misunderstanding, he says: ‘I would reply very ferociously on that one.’’
- ‘The passage will then be read through a second time at dictation speed with punctuation in French, the text being divided into sections or phrases, each of which is repeated once.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.