Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(typically in an animal species) the occurrence of two different kinds of colouring.
- ‘Extrapair paternity has been reported to be strongly positively associated with sexual dichromatism.’
- ‘One of the most conspicuous ornamental traits in avian sexual dichromatism is carotenoid-based plumage coloration.’
- ‘Sex of each chick at six weeks of age was recorded, when sexual plumage dichromatism became unambiguous.’
- ‘In no case did we find a significant interaction between sexual dichromatism and year.’
- ‘Collection of the goldfinches took place when plumage dichromatism between males and females is subtle.’
2Colour blindness in which only two of the three primary colours can be discerned.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.