One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organophosphorus insecticide derived from pyrimidine.
- ‘Recommended chemical treatments include such common insecticides as permethrin, malathion, diazinon and sevin.’
- ‘Insecticides - most commonly carbaryl, diazinon, and malathion - were detected more frequently in urban streams than in agricultural streams.’
- ‘These results are consistent with the DNA damage detected in the lymphocytes in peripheral blood in 8 individuals, following residential exposure to the organophosphorus insecticides chlorpyrifos and diazinon.’
- ‘The herbicides alachlor and atrazine and the pesticide diazinon may be to blame.’
- ‘In urban areas, insecticides such as diazinon and malathion which are commonly used on lawns and gardens were found in nearly all of the streams that were sampled.’
From diazine (see di-, azine) + -on (suffix of unknown origin).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.