One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tranquillizing muscle-relaxant drug used chiefly to relieve anxiety.
A member of the benzodiazepine group; chemical formula: C₁₆H₁₃N₂OClAlso called Valium (a trademark)
- ‘In rare cases, the parents may be given a supply of a drug called diazepam and will be given help and education on how to use this medicine.’
- ‘Where medication is judged necessary, oral anxiolytics, such as lorazepam, may be available, as may a parenteral sedative, typically diazepam.’
- ‘It is sensible to start with a high daily dose, such as 120 mg chlordiazepoxide or 20 mg diazepam on the first day, and then reduce the dose.’
- ‘He had drunk three litres of cider on the morning of the accident and taken temazepam, diazepam and amphetamine and told police he could not remember anything about the crash.’
- ‘Routine prophylaxis using phenobarbital, valproic acid, oral diazepam, or antipyretics is controversial and not indicated.’
- ‘Yesterday he admitted five charges of supplying controlled drugs - methadone and diazepam - and one charge of possession of amphetamine with intent to supply.’
- ‘The 29 year old died from aspiration of vomit after mixing diazepam, chlorpromazine, temazepam, flunitrazepam, and clomethiazole.’
- ‘A low dose of diazepam at bedtime may be beneficial in cases of frequent and disabling proctalgia fugax.’
- ‘Two of the three seizures in the midazolam group were controlled with intravenous diazepam and one with intravenous phenobarbital after intravenous diazepam failed.’
- ‘He added trace amounts of alcohol and an amount of the tranquilliser diazepam were also found in her bloodstream.’
- ‘Even a prescription of the tranquilliser diazepam failed to calm her nerves.’
- ‘Dr Ross said patients were also offered a wide range of treatment including night sedation drugs such as diazepam, which will be minimised under the SLA.’
- ‘To prevent withdrawal symptoms, a chronic heavy drinker may be prescribed medication such as diazepam for a few days after stopping drinking.’
- ‘By the age of 16 he was going to raves and using drugs - Ecstasy, diazepam and nitrazepam, as well as cannabis.’
- ‘Tranquilising drugs such as diazepam or temazepam are not suitable for treating stress because they can cause addiction after only a few weeks of taking them.’
- ‘Giving the drug diazepam directly into a vein can control the muscle spasms themselves.’
- ‘Until recently, however, it was unavailable outside the hospital, and other drugs, including diazepam, continue to be used as first line treatment.’
- ‘Severe persistent anxiety may merit the short term prescription of anxiolytic drugs such as diazepam.’
- ‘Braun records a case in which 5 milligrams of diazepam, a tranquilizer, sedated one personality, while 100 milligrams had little or no effect on another.’
- ‘She had always worked, mostly in shops, but was by then on huge amounts of methadone, nitrazepam, amitriptyline, diazepam and temazepam.’
1960s: blend of benzodiazepine and amide.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.