One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A West African monkey that has a black face with a white crescent on the forehead.
Cercopithecus diana, family Cercopithecidae
- ‘Even endangered species, like Diana monkeys, lemurs, and gibbons, are for sale.’
- ‘In the forests of West Africa, Diana monkeys make one kind of bark when they spot a crowned eagle, another when they see a leopard.’
- ‘We conducted a 24-month field study in the tropical rainforest of Taï National Park, Ivory Coast, and found that putty-nosed monkeys require an ecological niche almost identical to that of the Diana monkeys, Cercopithecus diana diana.’
- ‘The observational study began in January 2000 with a 12-month habituation phase, during which we habituated two mixed-species groups of putty-nosed monkeys and Diana monkeys to observers on foot.’
- ‘For example, Campbell's monkeys in the Ivory Coast can react to different Diana monkey alarm calls and Vervet monkeys in Kenya can respond to the different alarm calls of Superb starlings.’
Early 19th century: named after the Roman moon goddess Diana.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.