One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The separation of particles in a liquid on the basis of differences in their ability to pass through a membrane.
- ‘The profile for free thyroxine is that obtained using equilibrium dialysis and low sample dilution.’
- ‘The unit causes electric dialysis by producing electromagnetic oscillations in the water.’
- ‘The fraction which precipitated upon dialysis against water represented a 5-fold purification.’
- ‘Both RC-bound Zn ions can be removed by equilibrium dialysis against a metal chelating resin.’
- ‘Free dye was removed by Sephadex 50 column followed by dialysis against rigor solution.’
- 1.1Medicine The clinical purification of blood by dialysis, as a substitute for the normal function of the kidney.
- ‘Mr Gilpin needed renal dialysis to stay alive.’
- ‘Occasionally, hypercalcemia can develop in patients with advanced renal failure and who have been receiving long-term dialysis.’
- ‘And the numbers of people starting dialysis for kidney failure fell by two thirds and there were huge cost savings.’
- ‘The man had to visit his doctor three times a week for renal dialysis.’
- ‘Kidney transplants are an alternative to dialysis when both kidneys have ceased to function.’
Mid 19th century: via Latin from Greek dialusis, from dialuein ‘split, separate’, from dia ‘apart’ + luein ‘set free’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.