Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The part of a mixture which passes through the membrane in dialysis.
- ‘The dialysate was concentrated using a Centriprep (Millipore, Billerica, MA).’
- ‘The correlation of the selenium concentrations with the protein concentrations in the dialysate is significant (p [is less than] 0.01) with a Spearman R value of 0.97.’
- ‘The returned dialysate contained between 2.6 mEq / L and 14 mEq / L of lactate in one study, and the calculated lactate clearance by peritoneal dialysis averaged 21 mL / min in another.’
- ‘The selenium concentration doubled, and protein appeared in the dialysates during dialysis session.’
- ‘We have to mention here that generally dialysis needs to be performed, and the dialysate should be used for dn/dc and SLS measurements.’
- 1.1 The solution the dialysate forms with the fluid on the other side of the membrane.
- ‘The presence of MMP - 9 protein in dialysates was studied by Western blot analysis.’
- ‘The dialysate was centrifuged for 10 min at 10000 rpm at 4C.’
- ‘Accordingly, the present invention relates to an improved radiometric assay of dialysates obtained from equilibrium dialysis.’
- ‘However, a decrease in the content of free Ca2 + and Mg2 + was recognized in dialysates of egg homogenates shortly after the initiation of exocytosis.’
- ‘The dialysate was clarified by centrifugation and stored at - 80C. Protein concentration of the HSV - 2 Rl preparation was measured by the method of Bradford using y-globulin as a standard.’
- 1.2 The fluid used on the other side of the membrane during dialysis to remove impurities.
- ‘The remaining bags of dialysate in the 35-bag lot were retrieved and no other patients received dialysate from the same lot.’
- ‘In cases of resistant, life-threatening hypercalcemia, hemodialysis against a low-calcium dialysate is more effective than peritoneal dialysis in lowering serum calcium levels.’
- ‘These were treated with changes in his peritoneal dialysate, Kayexalate, and anti-hypertensive medication and he had no residual problems.’
- ‘The dialysate of first group contained ISM, the second used dialysate only, the third contained dopamine.’
- ‘When dialysis is use for treatment, calcium is added to the dialysate to correct for hypocalcemia and to prevent renal osteodystrophy.’
Late 19th century: from dialysis + -ate; the term originally denoted the part of the mixture which does not pass through the membrane.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.