One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sound produced by a telephone that indicates that a caller may start to dial.
- ‘They know their customers depend on them to pick up a phone whether it's in a hurricane or a disaster, and there will always be a dial tone.’
- ‘He snatched up the receiver, putting it to his ear and listened - no, there was still a dial tone.’
- ‘You get a second dial tone, and you can make your overseas call.’
- ‘Some carriers even provide a dial tone to make you feel like you're using an analog system.’
- ‘These are no dial tone, noise on the line, and a dial tone that continues when a number is dialed.’
- ‘You plug one or more phones into the converter box, and when you pick up the handset, you hear a dial tone and make a call.’
- ‘The telephone emitted a dial tone when he picked it up, but that still left the matter of which number to try.’
- ‘She hung up while Eden still held on, listening to the melancholy sound of the dial tone.’
- ‘Is the dial tone of the telephone something that you take for granted?’
- ‘I reached for the telephone, fully expecting to find it dead but I was amazed to find a dial tone.’
- ‘Snatching up her cell phone, Olivia flips it open - but can't get a dial tone.’
- ‘Once the phone has connected and is on, you can pick up the receiver and hear a dial tone, just like a standard model.’
- ‘He listened and heard the familiar and comforting monotone sound of the dial tone.’
- ‘There was a click on the other end of the line before I got a dial tone.’
- ‘We pick up the receiver and instead of a dial tone, hear nothing but a strange sort of silence laced with static.’
- ‘When you picked up the phone in some of the command units you didn't get a dial tone but a male voice speaking in broken Arabic.’
- ‘I can't get a dial tone, and I suspect that is related to last week's electrical storm damage.’
- ‘Then slowly pull the strip out until you hear the dial tone.’
- ‘There was a click; the dial tone a moment later indicating that Miri considered the conversation over.’
- ‘I also can't get my head around the idea of actually having to wait for a dial tone and a load of beeping before I can check my mails.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.