One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The fifth and last stage of the prophase of meiosis, following diplotene, when the separation of homologous chromosomes is complete and crossing over has occurred.
- ‘However, in the mouse, cytogenetic examination of chiasmata at diakinesis has been widely used to study genetic recombination.’
- ‘Their nuclei contain univalents as well as bivalents at diakinesis and metaphase I.’
- ‘For F59A1.7, affected worms exhibiting a high frequency of achiasmate chromosomes at diakinesis also had abnormally large nuclei at the pachytene stage, earlier in meiotic prophase.’
- ‘In wild-type hermaphrodites, germ cells at the dorsoventral flexure exit the pachytene stage of the first meiotic prophase and proceed to diakinesis.’
- ‘Loose condensation of chromosomes was observed in 12% of the cells from diakinesis to anaphase.’
Early 20th century: from dia- ‘through, across’ + Greek kinēsis ‘motion’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.