One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Enough of diachrony vs. synchrony for this posting.’
- ‘The enactment of masochistic desire is a performance of history, and masochism is a synchronic enactment of diachrony.’
- ‘Correlation of the two regions (Wales and Spain) is achieved by ammonite biostratigraphy; however, the correlation is complicated by diachrony in the ammonite zones, especially around the Pliensbachian / Toarcian boundary.’
- ‘The repetition of the word century, instead of evoking diachrony, only further betrays the precarious instantaneity of the utterance, its vocalic ephemerality.’
- ‘Levinas, also, describes the relationship with the other as time: ‘it is an untotalizable diachrony in which one moment pursues another without ever being able to retrieve it, to catch up with, or coincide with it’ (‘Dialogue’ 21).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.