Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Worship of the Devil.
the supernatural, the paranormal, supernaturalism, magic, black magic, witchcraft, sorcery, necromancy, wizardry, the black arts, kabbalah, cabbalism, occultism, diabolism, devil worship, devilry, voodoo, hoodoo, white magic, witchery, witching, orenda, mysticismView synonyms
- ‘White relied on a diabolism like this to induce a fall in the sunny paradise of Australia.’
- ‘Where did this hatred of Witchcraft begin and who is responsible for spreading the myths of diabolism, devil-worship, infanticide and crazed orgiastic rites?’
- ‘Proctor saw this and feared, for diabolism was a practice unheard of.’
- ‘Of these, the most striking is Matthew G. Lewis, whose novel The Monk cast aside Radcliffe's decorum in its sensational depictions of diabolism and incestuous rape.’
- ‘Their performances invariably involve roughly equal measures of cruelty, obscenity, sacrilege, diabolism, and Norse paganism (thus accomplishing the difficult feat of simultaneously blaspheming both the Christian God and Odin).’
- ‘The ultimate Evil in the film turns out to originate from Ghul's excessive zeal, not from some hoaky diabolism.’
- ‘It is an irreverence which comes to what is, for me, its crisis when articles by serious anarchists, Chiaromonte and Goodman, are presented along with the cud of fin-de-siècle diabolism.’
- ‘Effective diabolism shows the existence of Satan, so the corresponding presence of his greater adversary is at least strongly implied.’
Early 17th century: from ecclesiastical Latin diabolus or Greek diabolos devil + -ism.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.