Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Used to refer to a form of diabetes which typically develops in later life and is associated with being obese.‘regular exercise helps prevent diabesity’
- ‘The employees...will participate in service opportunities designed to combat Indiana's diabesity problem.’
- ‘The close association between diabetes and obesity has given rise to the term diabesity.’
- ‘Physical activity and non-clinical weight management programs can compensate for our bad genes and prevent diabesity.’
- ‘Obesity and diabetes are now so widespread in our country that they have spawned a new word - "diabesity."’
- ‘The concept of "diabesity" has changed some doctors' attitudes in the diabetes field.’
- ‘Haslam responded by saying that obesity is a 'multi-factorial condition', but the link between diabetes and obesity is very strong, so much so that some refer to the two as 'diabesity'.’
1980s: blend of diabetes and obesity.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.