Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Hindu and Buddhist practice) profound meditation which is the penultimate stage of yoga.
- ‘Clearly we see ample evidence that the ancient seers considered it very important that the mind be cleared and prepared to fully experience dhyana and one of the most powerful tools in preparation for dhyana is mantra and pranayama.’
- ‘I have formulated a routine, which consists of asanas, pranayamas (breathing exercises) and dhyana (meditation).’
- ‘As mentioned earlier, Zen meditation has partial roots in dhyana, an altered state of consciousness that originated with yoga.’
- ‘And of Rolf, he says, ‘It is not that he pushes his regular students into pranayama, dharana or dhyana after they have mastered the basic asanas.’’
- ‘Buddhist art is dhyana, a meditation practiced by monks and artists alike.’
From Sanskrit dhyāna.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.