Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Itching inflammation of the skin, especially in the groin region, suffered particularly in the tropics and typically caused by certain types of ringworm infection or by allergic dermatitis.
- ‘Life in Sierra Leone was good, that is if you ignore the mosquitoes, malaria, dhobi itch, prickly heat, jigger fleas, tomba flies and being permanently soaked in sweat.’
- ‘Lamisil AT Cream is an antifungal cream for the treatment of athlete's foot, dhobie itch and ringworm.’
- ‘This irritation, when coupled with a fungus infection in the groin region, is known as jock strap itch, or dhobie itch, and is technically named tinea-cruris.’
- ‘Various symptoms of malaria kept on cropping up and I was in constant pain with pityriasis versicolor, which is a form of the so-called dhobi itch (a dhobi is a laundryman).’
- ‘Usually only a mild inflammatory condition, but very persistent, these infections can include ringworm, ringworm of the scalp, athlete's foot and jock / dhobi itch.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.