Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Itching inflammation of the skin, especially in the groin region, suffered particularly in the tropics and typically caused by certain types of ringworm infection or by allergic dermatitis.
- ‘Various symptoms of malaria kept on cropping up and I was in constant pain with pityriasis versicolor, which is a form of the so-called dhobi itch (a dhobi is a laundryman).’
- ‘Lamisil AT Cream is an antifungal cream for the treatment of athlete's foot, dhobie itch and ringworm.’
- ‘Usually only a mild inflammatory condition, but very persistent, these infections can include ringworm, ringworm of the scalp, athlete's foot and jock / dhobi itch.’
- ‘Life in Sierra Leone was good, that is if you ignore the mosquitoes, malaria, dhobi itch, prickly heat, jigger fleas, tomba flies and being permanently soaked in sweat.’
- ‘This irritation, when coupled with a fungus infection in the groin region, is known as jock strap itch, or dhobie itch, and is technically named tinea-cruris.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.