Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of corrosion and weakening of brass objects in which zinc is dissolved out of the brass alloy.
- ‘Alloys above 15% Zn need a stress-relieving heat treatment to avoid stress corrosion and, under certain conditions, can be susceptible to dezincification.’
- ‘Alpha-brass strip is not usually arsenical since it is mostly used in situations where dezincification does not occur or is not significant.’
- ‘Tin additions significantly increase the corrosion resistance of some brasses, especially resistance to dezincification.’
- ‘It was determined that the brasses with high zinc content were the ones that suffered dezincification when exposed to aggressive water.’
- ‘The material will obtain a deep dezincification, since the dezincification will follow the long beta-phase bands.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.