One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a compound) having the property of rotating the plane of a polarized light ray to the right, i.e. clockwise facing the oncoming radiation.The opposite of laevorotatory
- ‘One was dextrorotatory when dissolved in aqueous solution, the other was levorotatory.’
- ‘Chirality describes the handedness of a molecule that is observable by the ability of a molecule to rotate the plane of polarized light either to the right (dextrorotatory) or to the left (levorotatory).’
- ‘This is assumed positive to show that the optically active substance is dextrorotatory and negative if the substance is laevorotatory.’
- ‘The dextrorotatory isomer of zopiclone is displaced from its salt by means of a base such as sodium hydroxide.’
- ‘We wish to report that the dextrorotatory acids of the lipids of human tubercle bacilli, hitherto believed to be saturated acids, are unsaturated acids.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.