Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a compound) having the property of rotating the plane of a polarized light ray to the right, i.e. clockwise facing the oncoming radiation.The opposite of laevorotatory
- ‘The dextrorotatory isomer of zopiclone is displaced from its salt by means of a base such as sodium hydroxide.’
- ‘We wish to report that the dextrorotatory acids of the lipids of human tubercle bacilli, hitherto believed to be saturated acids, are unsaturated acids.’
- ‘Chirality describes the handedness of a molecule that is observable by the ability of a molecule to rotate the plane of polarized light either to the right (dextrorotatory) or to the left (levorotatory).’
- ‘One was dextrorotatory when dissolved in aqueous solution, the other was levorotatory.’
- ‘This is assumed positive to show that the optically active substance is dextrorotatory and negative if the substance is laevorotatory.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.