Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Remove wax from.‘linoleum needs to be dewaxed using a strong solvent’
- ‘Two sections of each specimen were dewaxed in xylene for 10 minutes and rinsed thoroughly in absolute ethanol twice.’
- ‘Briefly, the sections were dewaxed and then placed in 30% hydrogen peroxide solution to block endogenous peroxidase.’
- ‘After dewaxing in xylene and ethanol, the tissue was fixed in 2.5% glutaraldehyde followed by 1% osmium tetroxide.’
- ‘These sections were then dewaxed in xylene and rehydrated in graded ethanols.’
- ‘Genomic DNA was extracted by dewaxing with xylene, proteinase K digestion, and phenol/chloroform extraction.’
- ‘Paraffin sections were dewaxed in xylene, rehydrated through a series of graded alcohols, placed in 10mM citrate buffer, and submitted to heat retrieval using a vapor lock for 40 minutes.’
- ‘Five-micrometer sections of paraffinembedded tissues were dewaxed, and antigen was retrieved by microwaving in 0.1M Tris buffer containing 0.15M sodium chloride and 0.1M potassium chloride at pH 7.4.’
- ‘Paraffin tissue sections were placed on silane-coated slides, dewaxed, digested with proteinase K, and then hybridized to digoxigenin-labeled riboprobes.’
- ‘To determine the net orientation of the cellulose wall microfibrils the longitudinal sections were dewaxed, mounted in DPX and examined under polarized light.’
- ‘Tissue sections were cut at 5 m, dewaxed, and hydrated in xylene and ethanol before antigen retrieval.’
- ‘For M30 immunostaining, sections were cut, dewaxed, and hydrated as described herein.’
- ‘Fifty-micrometer sections of paraffin-embedded, 10% neutral buffered formalin fixed tissues were dewaxed and rehydrated, and a whole nuclei prep was made by digesting with trypsin.’
- ‘Sections from selected formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded tissue blocks were placed on coated slides, dewaxed and rehydrated routinely, and then washed in TdT buffer.’
- ‘For immunostaining, the sections were mounted on sialinated slides, dewaxed, and hydrated.’
- ‘Next, the sections were dewaxed and rehydrated, and then antigen retrieval was performed by microwaving slides in citrate buffer at pH 6.0.’
- ‘Slides were then dewaxed and blocked with endogenous peroxidase.’
- ‘Before immunostaining, the slides were dewaxed and endogenous peroxidase activity was blocked with 0.45% hydrogen peroxide in 99% ethanol for 15 minutes.’
- ‘Sections were dewaxed in xylene and hydrated in ethanol.’
- ‘For DNA extraction, three 10 m sections were cut from paraffin blocks, dewaxed and dried in a vacuum.’
- ‘Slides were dewaxed, then incubated for 30 min in proteinase K at 37°C.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.