One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) an area in which government assistance is available to encourage business investment, in order to counteract unemployment.
- ‘The course, which is located in a technological economic development area, is open all year round.’
- ‘The project is centred on a core development area of 260 square kilometers incorporating game parks in Botswana, Angola, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe.’
- ‘As vice mayor, he presided over the rapid expansion of the city's Pudong development area, much of it funded by foreign money.’
- ‘Australia TradeCoast is the most significant industrial development area in South East Queensland.’
- ‘Amesbury is going to be a big development area over the next ten years or so and, thanks to the Amesbury Property Group, we have now got our west-bound slip road.’
- ‘Maria is from Tubbercurry and has gained a lot of experience working directly with small businesses in Ballymoney, Co. Antrim and in the business development area of the South Dublin Chamber of Commerce.’
- ‘Access to the development area is very poor meaning that the bypass will have to serve as an access road.’
- ‘He says the location and scope of the development area as well as the relevant native title holders to deal with have all been identified and regular meetings are being held.’
- ‘We are presenting our first major Bill on this, and I am sure we will be able to schedule York as a development area and attract industry here.’
- ‘Cowi also is studying a 22-km road between Kuwait City and the Subiyah development area.’
- ‘To ease the problems, the premiers agreed to develop cooperation in fisheries, mining and gas development in the overlapping area as a joint development area, the spokesman said.’
- ‘The Ealees development area is the first in the Pennines to be set up in a bid to take advantage of Rochdale Canal re-opening and attract more tourists to the area.’
- ‘It's a very sad indictment on a government encouraging us to become a major urban development area in the next ten years but unwilling to fund the infrastructure needed to do it.’
- ‘Two internet companies are selling two large fields, claiming they are ‘within the Thames Gateway development area.’’
- ‘Because that area has become a development area, the village leases its land to the people who come here to set up businesses.’
- ‘Sooner or later, we will find the ink has dried and a site for a major development area has been found, north of Winchester.’
- ‘One version of the scheme would involve a hire car company being permanently based at the proposed development area, behind York Railway Station, running a ‘just-in-time’ system.’
- ‘Most of the planned development area is concentrated on the south side of New Park Street and includes the old cattle market and the former Devizes Motor Company site.’
- ‘These nine owners were the petitioners in this case; the lead plaintiff, Susette Kelo, owned a small home on the Thames River in the development area.’
- ‘Hampshire County Council leaders have confirmed their backing for the 200-acre Manydown site west of Basingstoke to be earmarked as a major development area.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.