Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a compound) in which the ordinary isotope of hydrogen has been replaced with deuterium.
- ‘They then dissolved the sample in deuterated acetone and filtered it before running the NMR spectra.’
- ‘Quadrupole splittings of the dominant spectral feature were considerably smaller than the value of - 40 kHz expected for deuterated alanine methyl groups on immobilized peptides.’
- ‘It must be remembered that the deuterated compounds have a lower Tm than the nondeuterated compounds.’
- ‘The activation energy is greater and the rate of the reaction is correspondingly less for the deuterated compounds.’
- ‘For 2 H-NMR experiments, each sample contained 10 mg of deuterated lipid.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.