One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of surgical or household disinfectant.
- ‘Saige said I should pick it up and disinfect it with Dettol and adopt it as my own.’
- ‘His dad managed to cover his clothes with so much sludge, his mum had to disinfect the laundry bowl and washing machine with Dettol.’
- ‘Even 30 years down the track, people will remember him being likened to fake Dettol or fake Bold, and that's an ugly thing.’
- ‘The Zest, Dettol, Head and Shoulders, Domestos and toothpaste all went as did the towel.’
- ‘All the unworthies have been scared off by having to wash their tyres and wellies in Dettol and they won't come back.’
1930s: an invented name.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.