Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An institution for the short-term detention of illegal immigrants, refugees, people awaiting trial or sentence, or (formerly in the UK) young offenders.
prison, penal institution, place of detention, lock-up, place of confinement, guardhouse, correctional facility, detention centreView synonyms
- ‘In Finland the reason given for the creation of a detention centre has been that immigrants should not be placed in prisons.’
- ‘Now there are new details about a detention center within the detention center.’
- ‘No provisions were made for these children as their parents were carted 70 miles away to a detention center to await deportation.’
- ‘He is now is serving a two-year sentence in a detention centre in Nanchong, in Sichuan province.’
- ‘More than 200 illegal immigrants from Haiti are now at a detention center today in Florida, awaiting processing.’
- ‘There was also Krome Service Processing Center, an immigration detention center near Miami.’
- ‘He was picked up at home, taken to the detention centre and is now awaiting expulsion.’
- ‘Yet another hunger-strike by asylum seekers came to an end at the Woomera detention centre last week.’
- ‘And we get a rare insight into life inside a management unit in a detention centre.’
- ‘And these figures do not include their chances of being arrested and booked into jail or a detention center in the case of a juvenile.’
- ‘Tokyo's winter felt even colder to me when I was inside the detention center, a huge structure that sits imposingly near the eastern end of the city.’
- ‘Gao began his hunger strike on Feb.19 when he was paroled by the Taipei Prison and transferred to the detention center to await deportation.’
- ‘He needs treatment for his stomach ulcers, which he is currently receiving in his detention centre.’
- ‘During this angry period he committed some crimes as a result of which he was sent to a detention centre and to Borstal.’
- ‘Dividing the second response by the first revealed the proportion of friends who had been held overnight or longer in jail or a detention center.’
- ‘He therefore authorised the transfer of the prisoner from the detention centre to the young persons prison.’
- ‘I spoke with him by telephone from a detention centre the day before his second Tribunal hearing.’
- ‘But he is in detention at an immigration detention center in Ushiku, Ibaraki Prefecture.’
- ‘Campaign groups will gather outside Dungavel today to protest about conditions for refugees in the detention centre.’
- ‘A few years ago, the KMT government had planned to remodel the camp as a detention center for young offenders.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.