Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A catch in a machine which prevents motion until released.‘a system of detents is used to ensure that gears are held in whatever position is selected’[as modifier] ‘a detent spring’
- ‘Critical parts to be inspected internally are the hammer notches, hand and spring assembly, bolt, trigger, trigger/bolt spring and loading gate spring and detent.’
- ‘I'm not sure how likely this really is, but regardless, the Handle Retainer gives a pleasant, secure-feeling detent when the press handle is returned to the upright position.’
- ‘A spring-loaded, ball bearing detent holds the leg tightly against the underside of the rifle stock until needed.’
- ‘By pushing the safety forward one detent, the action is clear to fire the shotgun barrels.’
- ‘The hinge may also have a locking mechanism or detent which locks the two members at 180° from each other.’
- ‘There is a very positive detent for both on-and off-safe positions.’
- ‘When the power top switch is actuated to the first detent, the front windows lower 40 mm and the rear quarter windows lower 55 mm.’
- ‘Nicholas twisted the lever past the detent and slowly slid it down to the OPEN position.’
- ‘The motor itself has a skewed rotor like those found in inkjet printers which eliminates the detent torque that would coarsen the feel.’
- ‘The fixed sling swivels have detents so the swivel can't touch and possibly mar the stock wood.’
- ‘Within the gearbox, the mechanical plunger and spring detent arrangement have given way to a pneumatic setup.’
- ‘When I pulled back the power levers to flight idle, I couldn't get them up and over the detent into the ground range.’
- ‘A ball detent on the magazine follower proved to be the fix at the eleventh hour.’
- ‘The color may not be to everyone's taste, and we'd like to see a detent hole that keeps the shaft from sliding out of the socket when fully collapsed in the Stow Away position.’
- ‘The channel assembly also houses the firing pin rod assembly, which includes a detent lever assembly.’
- ‘Merely tapping the magazine from the bottom seats it in the second detent, allowing the bolt to engage the top round.’
- ‘With the action opened, two spring loaded detents at the front end of the magazine tube are pressed simultaneously which allows the tube to move far enough forward so that the barrel, magazine tube, and forearm may be unscrewed as a unit.’
- ‘Each flexible end portion includes a latch for engaging a detent in the chassis when the carrier is fully inserted into the chassis, thereby locking the carrier in the chassis.’
- ‘A stainless steel ball detent and spring hold the sight disk in place.’
- ‘The support member includes a locking detent that fits within a locking recess in the tab of the shield.’
- 1.1A catch that regulates striking in a clock.
- ‘As will be seen from the following photos, the detent, which is the heart of the chronometer escapement and gives it its accuracy, has been badly damaged and had to be replaced.’
- ‘If the number of blows struck is different to the hour shown lift the detent & the clock will strike one more than the previous count.’
Late 17th century (denoting a catch in a clock): from French détente, from Old French destente, from destendre slacken, from des- (expressing reversal) + Latin tendere to stretch.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.