Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Remove sulphur or sulphur compounds from (a substance)‘equipment to desulphurize coal in power plants’
- ‘Magnesium treatment desulphurises the iron to below 0,02% before alloying with the iron, and for economic reasons the sulphur content should be as low as possible.’
- ‘Within the past decade considerable interest has developed in the use of magnesium for desulphurizing blast furnace iron.’
- ‘Wet and dry lime techniques can be used to desulphurise the kiln exhaust gases prior to the EP's.’
- ‘Mutant strains that were unable to desulphurize aromatic or aliphatic sulphonates in vitro showed a different effect on plant growth: strain SN36, deficient in the asfA gene; strain SN34, deficient in the ssuE gene.’
- ‘A recent innovation desulfurizes the paste, produces lead carbonate, recovers sodium sulfate crystals, and recycles the H 2 O.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.