One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Decomposition of a solid by heating it in a closed container and collecting the volatile constituents given off.
- ‘I used to know this as destructive distillation of coal, but I believe there is a more modern term.’
- ‘Historically acetone was prepared by the destructive distillation of wood, followed by fractional distillation of the product.’
- ‘Artificial ‘smoke’ flavouring is made by the destructive distillation of wood.’
- ‘It can be obtained by the destructive distillation of wood, and can also be produced from acetylene and water using an oxidation process with air.’
- ‘It was originally produced by the destructive distillation of wood.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.